Our Core Values
Age Action supports and advocates for equality and human rights for older people. Age Action is a values-led organisation. Our core values of: Dignity, Participation, Diversity, Social Justice, and Professionalism, are central to driving our work to promote equality for and fulfil the human rights of older people.
The Age Action Values Statement sets out and defines our core values. It enables us to consistently and coherently embed these values in our work priorities and processes, and in the practice and behaviour of our staff and volunteers.
Dignity is about respect, compassion, kindness, and valuing of each individual. It involves independence and wellbeing as we age.
Age Action seeks to contribute to a society where older people are valued and respected, with access to services that meet their needs and affirm their independence. We seek to establish a workplace where staff and volunteers of all backgrounds are valued and respected.
- Age Action treats people with respect and upholds their dignity in how we operate.
- In Age Action our practice and behaviours contribute to a workplace culture of empathy, mutual respect, and valuing diverse opinions.
Participation is about inclusion and meaningful collaboration. It involves being heard, and having voice and influence as we age.
Age Action seeks to contribute to the empowerment of older people to make their own decisions and have an influence on policy making and service provision. We seek to establish a workplace where staff and volunteers can make a meaningful contribution to decision-making.
- Age Action enables people to contribute ideas, and raise concerns, through our structures and feedback processes, and ensuring they have the information to participate effectively.
- In Age Action our practice and behaviours ensure we reach out to include older people, engage in cross-team collaboration, and listen to all voices.
Diversity is about recognising and valuing difference. It involves challenging discrimination, and acknowledging, and responding appropriately to different groups in society.
Age Action seeks to ensure recognition for, and inclusion of the diversity of older people and an adequate response to the specific needs that flow from this diversity. We seek to establish a workplace with diverse staff and volunteers, where the specific needs flowing from this diversity are accommodated.
- Age Action works to prevent discrimination, ensure access and positive outcomes for the diversity of people,
- In Age Action our practice and behaviours involve building staff capacity to respond effectively to diversity, and having flexibility to accommodate and value difference.
Social justice is about equality of access, participation, and outcome, and a fair and equitable distribution of resources. It involves having real choices, control over our lives, and access to the economic, cultural, and social life of the community.
Age Action seeks to challenge ageism, reduce social isolation of older people, and ensure positive outcomes for older people in key areas of life, including: employment, income, health, education, housing, transport, and community activism. We seek to establish a workplace with fair terms and conditions for staff and volunteers.
- Age Action prioritises access to services and supports to those people most in need. We support people to exercise their rights and secure their entitlements.
- In Age Action our practice and behaviours involve mutual support, sharing of staff resources, and coordination between all parts of the organisation.
Professionalism is about working to the highest standards with integrity and transparency. It involves being committed, responsive, accountable, and innovative.
Age Action seeks to develop and sustain an organisation that: operates to the highest standards in all our programmes and activities; reflects our values; and secures stakeholder trust. We seek to establish a workplace with opportunities for progression and development for staff and volunteers.
- Age Action implements robust planning, evaluation, human resources, and financial policies and procedures that express our standards. We seek to ensure our internal and external communication is effective and reflects our values.
- In Age Action our practice and behaviours involve team building, capacity building, performance review, and regular reflection and assessment on progress being made.