Ideas for Activities and Events to celebrate Positive Ageing Week
There are no rules about the type of activity that can be organised to mark Positive Ageing Week, except of course that it involves older people and that it is enjoyable. The range of activities that have been organised in the past include:
- Entertainment: Coffee Mornings, Social Evenings, Quiz Nights, Musical Afternoons, Traditional Music Sessions, Tea Dances, Variety Concerts, Choral Recitals, Ceilis.
- Cultural: Historic Walks, Poetry Readings, Reminiscence Sessions, Art & Crafts Exhibitions, Historical Talks, Photographic Exhibitions.
- Sport/Keep Fit: Fitness Sessions for older people, Family Fun Walk, Indoor Bowls, Seniors Golf Tournament, Seniors Bowling Tournament, Bowling Training, Salsa Dancing, Ballroom Dancing, Tai Chi, Yoga and Aqua Aerobics.
- Talks & Information Sessions: Security Talks, Information Days provided by local groups working with older people, Talk on Activity Programmes in Nursing Homes, Social Services Open Day, Talks on Rural Transport.
- Excursions & Tours: Local visits to places of interest like County Homes and Gardens, Tours of Museums and Galleries, Mystery Tours.
- Workshops: Photography Workshops, Stress Management Workshops, Creative Writing Workshop, Basket Weaving Workshop, An Introduction to Bridge Workshops.
- Health: Nutrition Information Session, Holistic Therapy Day- specifically aimed at older people, Healthy Eating Sessions.
- Social: Book Reviewing, Bumper Bingo, Active Retirement Groups Open Days for non-members.
- Gardening: Bulb Planting, Park Clean-ups.
- Inter-generational: Older People’s Groups and Transition Year Students