You are here

Getting help from the Community Welfare Officer

Gerard Scully | Senior Information Officer | Age Action
Written by: Gerry Scully
Senior Information Officer


The helpline had a lot of queries around the time of Storm Emma about the schemes available to help people in emergency situations and the role of the Community Welfare Officer, writes Gerry Scully.

Blog on community welfare officer


Dear Age Action,

During Storm Emma I heard about the Community Welfare Officer and the payments that might be available to older people who were affected by the recent bad weather. Can you explain how these payments work?

Niall from Sligo


The two payments mentioned during Storm Emma are the Urgent Needs Payment and the Exceptional Needs Payment.

These are both administered by an official called the Community Welfare Officer, which some of our older readers might remember used to be called the Relieving Officer. They are based in local health centres or clinics.

It is their job to provide funding for people on limited means who suddenly need to cope with an unforeseen emergency.

Urgent Needs Payment

The Urgent Needs Payment is for people who are affected by emergencies, such as fires, flooding or other severe weather events. It covers items such as food, clothing or alternative temporary accommodation.

It is means tested and they will look at your entire means, including income, savings and property excluding your family home.

You will need the PPSN for everyone in your household and it is important to know that this payment may be recoverable if your situation improves.

Exceptional Needs Payment

This is a once-off payment for dealing with an unforeseen life event such as setting up your home for the first time, the cost of visiting family in hospital or in prison or, in exceptional circumstances, for helping with funeral costs.

You may also be entitled to get the payment if you find yourself hit with an unexpectedly high energy bill and this might be something to bear in mind in the aftermath of Storm Emma.

Again, this is a means tested payment and you will have to supply a PPSN for everyone in the household.

The decisions of a CWO cannot be appealed but they can be reviewed by the by the Social Welfare Allowance Review Officer for the office which made the original decision.

For more information, or for assistance in making an application for either of these payments, you can ring our Information Service on 01 475 6989 or email us at


Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

You might be due a tax refund



Revenue wants to make sure that everyone knows about the tax credits, reliefs and exemptions they are entitled to. Revenue wrote to some people recently telling them that they might be entitled to a tax refund going back as far as 2014.
If you think that you might also be due a tax refund for the year 2014, you need to submit a claim to Revenue before midnight on 31 December 2018. If you don’t want to miss out, submit your claim to Revenue before then.

World Refugee Day

 Today, June 20th is World Refugee Day. The number of people fleeing war, persecution and conflict exceeded 70 million in 2018. This is the highest level that UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, has seen in its almost 70 years. Data from UNHCR’s annual Global Trends report, released this week shows that almost 70.8 million people are now forcibly displaced. To put this in perspective, this is double the level of 20 years ago, 2.3 million more than a year ago, and corresponds to a population between that of Thailand and Turkey.   Today, older refugees make up some 8.5 per cent of the overall population of concern to UNHCR, and by 2050 more of the world will be over 60 than under 12. Older refugees experience an additional burden due to their age and associated conditions. In a report published by the Centre for Policy on Ageing and Age UK, they identified that “the main issues facing older refugees and asylum seekers are low income, the language barrier, the risk of loneliness and a lack of social networks, and possibly a loss of social status”.  Reduced mobility and a high number of chronic medical conditions also greatly impact the life of an older refugee, as adequate and culturally appropriate healthcare is often difficult to access. As well, throughout their time in refugee shelters, older refugees are also more likely to experience social disintegration, the impact of negative social selection and chronic dependency on the resources of refugee shelters. According to the International Federation on Ageing “The contributions of older refugees can have far-reaching impacts on the preservation of the cultures and traditions of disposed and displaced people. The wisdom and experiences of older refugees must be harnessed through formal and informal leadership roles, to improve the welfare of all refugees”. Marion MacGregor, writing for InfoMigrants says “Older refugees can be seen as an asset, rather than simply requiring special care. In many families, it falls to them to look after children so that their parents can work….. Older people are transmitters of culture, skills and crafts that are important in preserving traditions of displaced people. The resilience of older people can help to strengthen communities and they can contribute to positive and peace-building interactions with the local host communities.”